The WACA Ground has a long and proud history as an iconic domestic and international cricket venue, which has provided a stage for many historical sporting moments.
The Ground was officially opened in 1893, with the first match played on the turf wickets in February 1894.
The WACA has freehold of the Ground, which was originally 29 acres before being part sold to the Trotting Association in the early 1920s.
Ground dimensions and capacity
The Ground is 149 metres in length and 139 metres wide. It can accommodate 22,000 attendees, or 24,500 with temporary seating.
24,175 – Australia v England Test Day One, 14 December 2006
28,211 – Australia v South Africa ODI, 16 January 1994
Western Australia has won the Sheffield Shield 15 times:
1947-48, 1967-68, 1971-72, 1972-73, 1974-75, 1976-77, 1977-78, 1980-81, 1983-84, 1986-87, 1987-88, 1988-89, 1991-92, 1997-98, 1998-99
Domestic One-Day Competition
Western Australia has won 11 one-day domestic titles:
1970-71, 1973-74, 1976-77, 1977-78, 1982-83, 1985-86, 1989-90, 1990-91, 1996-97, 1999-2000, 2003-04, 2014-15
T20 Big Bash League
The Perth Scorchers have won two T20 Big Bash League titles:
2013-14 and 2014-15
The first grandstand was built in 1895, with seating for 500 people and incorporating four dressing rooms, a dining room, two bathrooms, Members’ rooms and bars.
The "Test” or Inverarity Stand
Built in 1970 to celebrate the first Test match (Australia v England) ever to be played at the WACA Ground.
Officially opened in November 1984 as the first stage of a major redevelopment of the Ground to commemorate the Centenary of the WACA in 1985. Named after Mr Bernie Prindiville, past President of the Association, the stand today houses the Association’s administration office. The stand also includes the President’s Room, Willow Room, Stump Lounge and a range of private boxes.
Lillee Marsh Stand
Completed in 1988 as a public stand, catering for the capacity crowds of cricket and football. Since 2002, the Lillee Marsh Stand is reserved for WACA Members. The Sir Donald Bradman Room and Media Centre are housed in the upper levels of the Stand along with a series of private/sponsor boxes. A reception-function centre for 500 people is available in this complex. Named after former State and Australian players Dennis Lillee and Rodney Marsh, with acknowledgment to the R&I for their sponsorship.
Constructed in 2002, this Pavilion stands within the Members enclosure and includes change rooms and social rooms for all players, including the Warriors, Fury, Scorchers and visiting teams. The building also includes facilities for the Match Committee.
Built in 1954, the Scoreboard was a donation from the North West Murchison Cricket Association. This association is some 1800 kilometres north of Perth – yet still in Western Australia.
Completely restructured in 1985, with around 20,000 tonnes of soil being removed. New wickets were laid, excellent drainage installed and some 22,000 tonnes of new soil was laid. Approximately 250,000 individual pieces of turf were laid in the ten wicket centre square.
Located in six towers, the lights were installed and first used in 1986 at a cost of $4.2 million. They stand 70 metres high with an average of 138 lights in each tower and when operating cost approximately $600.00 per hour. Stairs are located on the inside.
The wickets run true North-South.
The centre is located in the north-east corner of the venue and contains four wickets and two bowling machines. Practice wicket facilities are at the eastern end of the Ground, with 45 individual strips of which up to eight will be brought-up at any one time.
The Farley Stand (demolished)
Opened in 1931 – the oldest stand at the Ground. Named after WJ Farley – Association President 1915-16 to 1916-17 and Secretary 1917-18 to 1928-29.
Players Pavilion (demolished)
Lower level built to provide facilities for the players and the WACA Administration in the 1960s. The seating on top was added to provide extra capacity for the inaugural Perth Test match in 1970.