Claremont-Nedlands Crowned One Day Premiers
5 March 2017  

Claremont-Nedlands are the One Day League premiers for the third time after securing back-to-back titles with a 169-run win over Fremantle at the WACA Ground on Sunday.

Much like the final last season, Travis Birt again led the way with a dominant 149 from 122 balls to steer the Tigers to a big total, with his power hitting too much for the Port bowlers.

Earlier, Claremont-Nedlands won the toss and chose to bat, a decision that looked ominous as Jacob Whiteaker was dismissed first ball of the innings by Jamie Heath.

Nick Hobson’s wicket shortly followed, chopping the ball onto his stumps off a fired up Jhye Richardson, as the Tigers fell to 2-20, before Birt took hold of the contest, with powerful hitting all around the WACA Ground.

The former Hobart Hurricanes batsman and Tim David combined to steady the innings, with a 95-run stand, as David took to Alcohol.Think Again Western Warriors spinner Ashton Turner, hitting a six onto the roof of the Lillee Marsh Stand.

Once David was dismissed for 42, Birt turned up the run rate, despite being dropped in the deep on 32, to bludgeon 15 fours and six sixes to reach his century off 103 balls with a maximum over square leg.

A tired Birt was eventually dismissed for 149, however the damage was already complete, with Chris Brabazon (45) and Brad Hope (36) finishing the innings in style, as the Tigers recorded 6-304 from their 50 overs.

Jarryd McPhee and Richardson were tireless in their efforts however could only manage two wickets in an otherwise disappointing bowling display from Fremantle.

In response, the Port Boys struggled from the outset losing wickets at regular intervals to the Tigers fast bowlers, coupled with some fine outfield catching from the Claremont slip cordon.

Fremantle fell to 2-22 before a double strike in a Brad Hope over dispelled any chance of a recovery; with Matt Kelly taking a fantastic one-handed catch at cover to dismiss Jake Carder, before Richardson was caught behind first ball.

David dismantled the Port middle order to leave the side in dire straights at 7-69, with Kelly and Joel Paris chipping in to take crucial wickets.

Despite a gallant last-wicket partnership of 35 from Fremantle, the side was eventually bowled out for 135, with Joel Crosswell well caught by Paris to end the game, sparking celebrations for the Tigers faithful.

David finished the pick of the bowlers with 4-33 to complete a terrific game, with Paris and Hope chiming in with multiple wickets.

The win is the Tigers' first back-to-back title in the club’s history, with the dominant side now aiming for a two-day flag in a month’s time.

Full scorecard

-Elliot Raiter